Friday, August 19, 2011

LLC's, 501(c)(3)'s, Trademark Attorneys …Oh, My!

Let me begin by saying that if you are a lawyer, my hat is off to you in admiration and respect. Not because I think you're any more intelligent or sophisticated than the rest of the population, but because you obviously have the type of mind that can go through pages and pages of dry, tedious, verbose legal documents and not run from the room screaming. Clearly, my mind is not wired that way, for I would rather stick pins in my eyes. Really.

But I am learning that lawyers are a necessary evil, and not just because I'm married to one. Before we can get to the true heart of Fabulous Shoe Night … before we start to hold events, wearing our most fabulous shoes, and actually begin to raise money for those in need, we have to get all the mundane, dreary, seemingly endless, arid and wearisome legal work out of the way. Trust me … this stuff is God-awful. I had no idea what a good job I had done over nearly 17 years of marriage shielding myself from getting sucked into the vortex of such banality by asking the simple question, "How was your day at work?" There is true merit to the phrase "In one ear, out the other," and apparently, I am an expert.

So while somehow FSN is effortlessly gaining momentum all on it's own, and I am fielding offers out of the blue from boutiques, salons and restaurants to hold FSN events, I have to do what does not come naturally to me, and exercise patience. We are simply not there yet. Momentum and enthusiasm, and not just my own, are immensely difficult to reign in, but it must be done. For until we build an impenetrable, substantial, and yes … legal foundation, we run the risk of the entire operation collapsing around us.

To the trademark attorney, tax attorney, corporate attorney, etc., forgive me if my eyes seem to glaze over. You are not imagining things … they are.  I am only pretending to pay attention because I know I have to. But, please, don't be fooled; I have not mentally checked out. While you drone on and on, sounding like the voice of the adults in the Charlie Brown specials I grew up watching, my mind is elsewhere. I am thinking of all the people we will someday help, all the charities we will contribute to, all the good we can and will do … with your help. I know we have to get through this tedious part, build that solid, impenetrable foundation, and that the magic I have sensed all along will return. I just wish I had a little fairy dust to throw your way. Don't take this the wrong way, but … you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment