Monday, February 20, 2012

When it Rains ...

             It can be difficult coming up with with new blog topics every couple of weeks. But just because I may appear silent  now and then, Dear Reader, doesn't mean there's nothing going on. Behind the scenes, things have been near-frenetic.

             I am happy to report that Fabulous Shoe Night is taking off by leaps and bounds. What started as a whim, as a fun way to get out with my girlfriends every month, has turned into a full-time job ... at least in hours.

             So while I would love nothing more than to share each and every amazing thing going on behind the curtain … I can't. Not yet. I'm superstitious that way. But I can bring you up to date on the things that have actually come to pass, as well as things concretely in the works.

             The first thing I can say is that the learning curve continues. That in and of itself is a good thing. We've changed our "format" a bit, and now ask for a $25 donation at the FSN Girl's Night's Out, instead of the restaurant donating a percentage of our food bill. Essentially, this minor tweak makes everyone happy … for $25, members get an array of heavy appetizers, a generous donation made to the Family Support Line, and a reduced price on beer, wine and a signature drink. The restaurant is happy, because their establishment is filled with fabulous women … which is never bad for business! And the Family Support Line is happy because now, we are able to donate TWICE as much as we did the old way. I'm happy because it's all working, for as everyone knows, if Mama ain't happy …..
Another exciting development is that we are showing significant growth. We've tested the waters in King of Prussia, PA, and are due to open sister chapters in Delray Beach, Florida and Basking Ridge, NJ soon.

On the technological front, steps are being made toward a web site where women can register for membership online, as well as pre-pay for GNO's via PayPal. And we were also able to "test" the viability of this odd, little concept of women + shoes + charity by forming a group on MeetUp.com. In the first day, 16 women joined, with new members joining nearly every day. The men in my life scratch their heads over this, clearly puzzled that a link between these seemingly obtuse concepts even exists. I think this is where I get the most amusement … seeing them try to comprehend. They'll just never get it.

There's actually so much more going on that I'm literally bursting, but … my superstitions keep me from full-disclosure. Unbelievably, I still get frustrated that things aren't moving at a faster rate, even though I know that I need to enjoy the calm before the storm hits … because once it does, it's going to be a tsunami. But I look forward to it. I have the cutest pair of leopard print rain boots I haven't worn in a while …..

1 comment:

  1. Very cute ending...
    Ps. I have juicy couture rain boots sitting ready!!!

    ReplyDelete